Welcome to Quiet Island Writings! Sometimes when asking for help on our journey, we are sent inspiring messages. Be open to the universal energy that flows compassionately around us all. If you'd like to share your reflections on the writings, click on the daily post title and leave your thoughts. Have an inspiring day!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Who Are Our Parents?

As children, we look to our parents for answers. In our eyes, they can do no wrong. In fact, this continues even as we become adults. Although we get older and mature, our parents never seem to age because they were always wise and knowing. No matter how old we become, we look up to them as being experienced guides to our own behaviors. What they taught us as we were growing up, now seem to become ingrained in our minds. So that we will probably carry on the same values with our own children. But happens when a parent betrays our trust. Learning that our parents are not perfect but make mistakes like all of us is difficult to comprehend. They are supposed to be our moral compass. For some reason, when parents fail us, we look at ourselves to fix the problem. But this will only lead to frustration on our part, because the only one who can change is the person themselves. People often overlook the consequences of their actions when they become too entangled in their fantasy. As children, the first step is acknowledging that our parents are human and can make mistakes. And second is to let them be responsible for the consequences of their actions. As children, we never see the whole picture of what is going on. Loving our parents and letting them fall is one of the hardest things to do. Today, allow yourself to breathe. You can not change anyone but yourself. As angry and confused as you may be at this time, know that there are people that support and love you. If you need to talk to someone, you are not alone. No one is perfect, especially our parents.
Those were the days...
 
(I don't know when I became the parent and my father the child. I catch myself lecturing him as if he has no clue as to what he is doing. Somewhere between raising my own children and having them grow up, my father has aged. He smiles at me when I'm telling him something and not for the first time. It's as if he understands that what I'm saying to him is out of love. I have often forgotten that he is human and can make mistakes. The question I ask myself is, do parents have a right to make mistakes? I hope so otherwise, I'm going to be in big trouble with my own kids.)

No comments: