Welcome to Quiet Island Writings! Sometimes when asking for help on our journey, we are sent inspiring messages. Be open to the universal energy that flows compassionately around us all. If you'd like to share your reflections on the writings, click on the daily post title and leave your thoughts. Have an inspiring day!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Giving Unsolicited Advice

How many times have you given advice to someone without being asked? There is an urge to help others when you feel that they may be making a mistake. It's the nurturer in us that makes you want to help others. But you see the world from your perspective, so you're not listening very carefully of what is being said. You think you know what is best and that is why you tell others what they should do and often times are confused when they do the opposite. You have learned by your mistakes, why shouldn't others. If you take the time to truly listen, you will realize that others share with you because they need a compassionate listener, not someone who tells them what they are doing is wrong. Sometimes our friends and loved ones need to work things out for themselves, for in the process they discover their strength. Today, be a good listener. Be quiet and be the friend that you know you can be. It's not your position to judge others, for their journey could also be yours one day. We are meant to be compassionate people, so reflect that in your daily life.
  Just eat it and enjoy...
 
(I always have to remind myself when I'm speaking to people "Do you just want me to listen or do you want feedback?" Sometimes I want to give advice, but people don't always want to hear what I have to say. Then I get hurt when I'm told to butt out. I guess they don't really say it in those words, but it feels like it. So this is a lesson that I'm still working on. Being compassionate is one thing and being a busy body is another. I'm going to have to be a better listener.)

No comments: